Monday, January 25, 2016

Symmetrically Speaking

"Can you read,sir?" the bartender asked the man.
The man removed the white, flat plastic, exposing the wide hole at  the top of his foot-long lips, the hole narrowing to a sharp point at his stomach.  "I have to take it out to speak a language," the man said.
"What is your language?" the bartender asked.
"Claps," the man said.  "Not as in STD, but as clapping the hands, similar to Morse code."
"I asked if you can read because of the name of this bar."
" 'NO UGLY PEOPLE BAR,'  right?"
"Right.  People are judged by their appearance, and I'm sure you've had experience with that."
"True.  In my tribe everybody looks like me, so no problem.  But here . . ."
"Do women in your tribe have lips like you?"

"Of course.  Except their disks are round at the bottom, like a half moon."
"How do you and your woman  kiss, take the disks out?"
"No.  We rub disk to disk, top and bottom.  It's beautiful."
"Well, I think beautiful or ugly can apply not only to physical appearance but to attitudes and acts.  I guess it depends on one's culture."
"If you think ugly attitudes and acts are a problem, try having a culture that starts you out  from birth in the western world with your lips growing around different sized disks until your lips are a foot long.  And once a standard has been set  up and accepted for centuries, trying to ignore it is like attempting to run up a seemingly endless hill and your old heart  is hissing with every step."

"It's not probable that you'll make it up that hill, so why bother.  By the way, you seem to be pretty well educated, how long have you been in our country?"
"Some missionaries brought me here to educate me when I was sixteen.  I've been here about fifteen years, and I'll be returning to my tribe soon . . . I feel more comfortable there with our standards of beauty."
"As we say in the NO UGLY PEOPLE BAR, 'Symmetry is masterful.'  So why waste time arguing with success?"

No comments:

Post a Comment